13262538

I am the parent of a 16 year old with Autism and OCD.

Hello. I am the parent of a 16 year old with Autism and OCD. He is on the highest rate for disability and care. The DWP have been out to assess him and agree that he cannot control his own finances at the moment, therefore I will be dealing with his benefits on his behalf until he is 18. However, what should I be doing for when he turns 18? He is very vulnerable and I would still need to oversee his health and financial needs. He has had severe mental health issues in the past, however is now at a new special school who are bringing him on very well. However I cannot see him being able to control his health and finances when he is 18 (more like 25 I would guess). Any advice please?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you are asking?
Are you asking if you should control his finances?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will need to control his finances and his health needs (i.e. Dr's visits) etc. Do I need to get a Power of Attorney to do this?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure that is my area then.
I will opt out for others.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youIf he has sufficient mental capacity then the way forward will be a Lasting Power of Attorney.However if he doe snot have capacity when he is 18 then you will need to apply to be appointed as his Deputy - details herehttps://www.gov.uk/become-deputy/overviewI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years