13262538

Good evening. My daughter turns 18 in January. When I was

Good evening.
My daughter turns 18 in January. When I was with her mother we were not married and when we split up we had an agreement set up for child maintenance. That was 15 years ago and I have not seen my daughter since and have no idea where she is now living. Unfortunately I have moved several times and have lost the agreement. I am sure it was drawn up to the age of 16 but I have continued to pay just in case it was 18. I am wondering if and when I can stop the payments as I have paid well over the odds as it is.
David
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you.
Please may I ask:
- do you know if the agreement that was made was a court order?
- do you know if your daughter is still in education or if she is working?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youWhatever the terms of the agreement you are liable to pay child maintenance so long as the child is under 20 and in full time secondary education - andif you stop payment then the mother could use the CMS (new CSA) to obtain 12% of your gross income (less if you have other children in your home)Given that you have no knowledge of the actual position the safest way forward would be to assume that she has remained in secondary education andwill leave school in JuneYou can stop paying in June and wit to hear from your ex (or the CMS)I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but I have two responses so don't know who I am writing back to!Answering Caroline I assume it was a court order and I guess she is still in education.Answering Clare it seems sensible stop paying in June (my payment goes out on the first of the month so guessing I can stop the standing order after June payment?).I have paid £500 a month and even if I am then requested to pay 12% of my gross income I reckon it would then be nearer £400 than £500.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the over posting - it was a site glitch and I apologiseYou would certainly know if there was a court order - it would have been clear to you at the time.Yes you can stop in June - I am sure the mother will contact you promptly if in fact you should still be paying
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years