Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I made a position statement upcoming final hearing

I made a position statement for the upcoming final hearing in my application to vary.When in the hearing will this position statement be covered? Is it in effect the outline of the opening statement?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
The position statement is to briefly outline to the judge and the other party what you are requesting from the court and on what basis - this should be fairly concise and limited to approximately two pages if possible. The judge will likely look at the position statement first before proceeding with the rest of the hearing.
___
Please rate my response positively if you found it helpful - I will not be credited for answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - for the FDR I had a barrister prepare the position statement and it was 11 pages. Is that very unusual or unacceptable?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
If it was necessary for it to be that long then it would acceptable, however the position statement is not the same as a witness statement which you are likely to have submitted previously and is why they are usually limited in length - as it is supposed to briefly outline what you are asking for from the court.
___