13262538

Clare. I am separated from my wife. Not legally and months now. We have our h

Hello Clare. I am separated from my wife. Not legally and for 10 months now. We have our home valued at 280000. I have in my name two houses in wales with a total value of aprox 280000. I owe 11000 on one of those houses. They get let for holidays. My 37 year old son lives with my wife and my two daughters have there own houses. I am still paying all the bills on the shared home and currently payment rent for my accomadation. I am nearly 65 and my wife 70. Thank you for any advice you can give. I am not fussed about divorce but don't want to loose out by too much.
james
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your question and for asking for meHow long have you been living together/married?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
45 years married
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife - £13000.00 after tax employed
My self - £30000.00 after tax self employed
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Given the length of the marriage the starting point for division of the assets within divorce will be 50/50 and it is unlikely that the Court will move far from that since it will allow your wife to remain in her current home.You may also have to pay spouse maintenance - but you will NOT have to continue paying all the bills on the house she lives in - and you should stop sooner rather than laterI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The value of the house my wife lives in is £280000.00 - no debts
My two houses are worth the same but I have a mortgage of £116000.00
Can I maintain an interest in the marital home.
If the balance was split 50/50 then my wife would owe me £82000.00 with no means to pay this.
james
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
In your original question it was £11,000 - the real figure obviously changes matters.
How much does a reasonable two bedroom property in the same general area as the matrimonial home cost to buy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oops typing error, very sorry.
There are two bedroom houses within 10 miles for £220000.00
Can I maintain an interest in the marital home and they stay there.?
I would like to avoid forcing a sale.
Thanks for your help with this.
james
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
If you are happy to retain an interest in the matrimonial home instead of forcing a sale (which clearly you could do) then yes that would be a reasonable option
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that I was not fast enough to accept your telephone request - I hope all goes well - please ask if you need anything further from me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clare, you have answered all my questions very well thank you.
I did hit the request a call button, I hope I wont get charged as you were unable to take it.
I am impressed with the service and a second time around will find it even easier.
james
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I will let site admin know - I am glad I was able to help