Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My husband wants a divorce we have separate bank accounts

My husband wants a divorce we have separate bank accounts the house is in both our names we have no mortgage . When we got the house it cost £188,000i paid £110,00eith my money and over the years contributed about another 40 with my money the house is worth about £450,000 does my husband automatically get half because both are names are ***** ***** ?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Your husband will not automatically get half of the property. What the court will look at is various criteria when deciding whether to depart from the starting point of a 50-50 split. The court will take into account various factors, including the length of the marriage, both of your contributions and both of your needs. If your needs are the same as his, and your contributions are higher then you should be negotiating a higher split of the equity to take this into account.
What other assets do you both have, and are you both able to maintain yourselves from your respective incomes?
___
Please rate my response positively if you found it helpful - I will not be credited for answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you