Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My husband and I are divorcing after 2 years seperation. We

My husband and I are divorcing after 2 years seperation. We both agree that, as I bought the house we lived in before we married and have solely paid the mortgage, he will make no claim on the house. We have drafted & signed a Seperation Agreement to this effect some time ago. Is this sufficient?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
No, that will not be sufficient to finalise the financial settlement as part of the divorce. You will both need to sign a consent order (detailing the agreement) and complete forms D81 disclosing your financial positions and, once the Decree Nisi is granted you can submit this to the court to approve. It is then for the court to assess that the settlement is fair for both of you, and for any children of the family.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.