Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

If I leave my wife Can she claim money from me to pay mortgage

If I leave my wife Can she claim money from me to pay mortgage payment if the deeds are in her name only
We have no children, married for two years, no shared ownership.
Both earning good salaries, I have 3 dependants from a previous marriage living with their mother
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Both of you will be able to make financial relief applications in relation to assets and income. However, whether this will be granted or approved by the court will depend on both of your incomes and your needs. If she is able to meet her reasonable needs and pay the mortgage solely then it will be difficult for her to make such a claim. Your needs appear to be greater given that you have commitments to other children.
If the property that is in her sole name was the marital home, then you have matrimonial home rights arising out of the marriage and you have the right to make a claim either to reside in the property or for a share arising out of the marriage and any financial or non-financial contributions made to the property and family.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not the matrimonial home, and I have no real interest in trying to mKe a claim from her for any financials, I'm just trying to ascertain if she could take any of me earnings if I do decide to leave her
Thanks for your help