Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I HAVE A TWO YEAR OLD BOY WHO LIVES WITH HIS MOTHER BUT THERE

Customer Question

I HAVE A TWO YEAR OLD BOY WHO LIVES WITH HIS MOTHER BUT THERE WAS NO RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN ME AND THE MOTHER APART FROM HAVING A CHILD. I USED TO GET ACCESS TO HIM FOR TWO YEARS. IM IN A RELATIONSHIP WITH MY PARTNER AND WE HAVE HAD A LITTLE GIRL JUST BORN. MY MOTHER TO MY TWO YEAR OLD HAS NOW DENIED ME ALL ACCESS WITH MY SON.
CAN YOU PLEASE ADVISE ME
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
What were the previous arrangements to see your son and why did the mother stop this?
A child has the right to a relationship with both parents and therefore to see them and have contact with them. This should only stop if there are concerns about the level of care that the parent provides to the child.
Initially I would suggest that you formally write to the mother to request arrangements be put in place for contact. If she does not agree then you should refer the matter to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: www.familymediationcouncil.org.uk ) to assist. If mediation fails or the mother does not engage, you can then pursue an application to your local court for a child arrangement order under form C100, together with a £215 court fee.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. Please rate my response positively if you found it helpful - I will not be credited for answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you!