Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am going to mediation separation and division

I am going to mediation for marriage separation and division of property and finance.
Once we have gone through mediation do we need a lawyer? At what stage does it go to court?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Once an agreement is reached you will need to have that made into a formal consent order and it is advisable that a solicitor prepares that for you or considers one that is prepared by your spouse's solicitor as it can become a complicated document and you need to ensure that it properly reflects your agreement and intentions. Once the consent orders are agreed and signed you both need to fill in a D81 form disclosing your brief financial position and this accompanies the consent order for submission to the court for approval. You can only submit it to the court once Decree Nisi is granted.
Please let me know if you have any further questions about this.