13262538

I am going through a separation and it is starting to get

i am going through a separation and it is starting to get nasty we both want custody of the kids and we both cant afford the fees.we have 2 kids one together and one from my wifes previous relationship.we have been married for nearly 7 years and the child of my wifes wants to live with me.my wife has a stress issue going on and wont seek medical help and has bought drugs into the house.i have a 2yr old son who could get hold of this.i am no saint as i have had a drink problem in the past and treated her like crap.i have stopped drinking and we were supposed to have come to the island for a fresh start and after 6 weeks of me being here she tells me its over.just need to know where i stand on this and how to go about getting custody of the kids.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How old is the older child and how is the Care of the children shared between you at the moment?
What drugs is your wife using?
Do either of you work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
chloe is 12 and a half,we are still living together,cant definately tell if she is/was using the drug weed.i found it in a envelope and she said it was from a friend she works with and it was sealed but when i found it it was opened.i work temporary for a agency and my wife is a chambermaid and works at morrisons part time both.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would really of liked to get back together and try again but her moods are making think she might have bipola.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Who owns the current home?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
her parents
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would talk on the phone but she is here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cant really afford the call either
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Just to check - do you share the care of the youngest between you when you are not working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he will either be with one of us or her parents.due to the circumstances of her parents owning the house it looks like i am going to be forced back to the mainland where i originated from(milton keynes).
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
No rentals locally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried but the 1 i found fell through as the landlord withdrew the property
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i feel i am being pushed out
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I can understand your concern - but you have the right to remain in the matrimonial home so long as you are married - no matter who owns the property.The starting point is to find a local Family Mediator to discuss the way forward in terms of living arrangements and how the care of the children should be shared between you - whether on the Island or back in Milton Keynes - the move is so recent that a move back would not necessarily be unreasonable for the chidlren.Obviously your past record could be a problem but if your ex is taking drugs then obviously the safety of the chidlren would dictate that you shoudl be the principle carerYou may also find this website usefulhttp://theparentconnection.org.uk/Please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would be the best option.I wasnt beating her or anything like that just causing arguements all the while.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Obviously the best option would be an arrangement whereby the chidlren spend time with each of you each week
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried to get her to go to family relations but she just had a go at me for doing this.just want the kids to be safe and happy.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid that how the matter is dealt with will have to be discussed at mediation - neither of you can force the other to leave unless there is violence
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years