Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My wife and I moved into our house 7 years ago (and live

My wife and I moved into our house 7 years ago (and live with our 2 children) after securing a mortgage using a deposit from her grandmothers inheritance, also my name does not appear on the mortgage because at the ime I'd only just recently become self employed and was not able to get a loan, but I have been paying off the morgage since we moved with regular monthly direct debit into her bank account. My question is: if we separated would I have and claim on the property?
Em***** *****
My
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Please confirm that you are in England or Wales?
If you are - the home is the matrimonial home and you therefore have matrimonial home rights which entitle you to live there and to a share of the property upon divorce. If your name is ***** ***** the title of the property you are able to make an application to the Land Registry under Form HR1 to register your home rights - this will put a paragraph on the title which will inform any potential buyer that you have an interest in the property.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.