13262538

I've recently split from my wife in which I want to

Customer Question

I've recently split from my wife in which I want to take my daughter on holiday for 2 weeks. My wife won't give me the passport to do this for the simple reason that she will miss her to much. We both have a joint agreement between us that we have our daughter on a 50/50 basis. Is there anything I can do to access the passport to allow my daughter a holiday?
Nick Flear
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow old is your daughter and how recent is the split?How is the child's care shared between you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiMy daughter is 8 years old, basically we have her 2 days on 2 days off through the week and then every other weekend between us, that side works ok given the unfortunate situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies the split has been 10 months
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What is the longest time she has spent away from mum to date?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8 days she came on holiday with me last August.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HI
You will need either the mother's consent or an order from the court if you wish to take your child abroad (it is the same for your ex)
You shoudl try and discuss this with your ex using Family mediation - pointing out that that she too will one day wish to take her abroad.
If that fails then you will have to apply to the court using a form C100 for a specific issue order allowing both the holiday abroad - and forcing her to hand over the passport.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you one final question if I have to get a court order, if It was in my favour would I still pay the costs?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Sad;y no - costs are not awarded in such cases - the £215 fee cannot be recovered
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you once again.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome I hope all goes well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry one last question do I have to go to mediation before applying to the court?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am afraid so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you if my ex wife is not willing to attend, Is the only other alternative through the courts to access the passport.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HI
I am afraid so - you will need a Court Order to take the child abroad in any event