Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Could you please advise how I can help my son, the respondent,

Hello. Could you please advise how I can help my son, the respondent, protect his shared equity (housing association) jointly owned flat, in the likely event that any settlement would take into account the age of the children (youngest is 8) and remain in the house and it not to be sold for years? Meanwhile, he has nowhere to live and is sleeping on my sofa? So, I am wondering if a deferred sale would be negotiated but how does this work with rising prices and him homeless? Thank you.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Who is the main carer of the children and what are the arrangements for the non-resident parent to see the children? Do the parties have other assets?
In such matters the court usually grants what is known as a Mesher Order to the resident parent, and once the youngest child reaches a certain age (eg. 18 or finishes education) the property is to be sold and the equity to be divided between the parties as ordered.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.