ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

There ex partner is moving in with new partner after a few

Customer Question

Hi there ex partner is moving in with new partner after a few months we are not yet divorced yet im my daughters full time legal gaurdian given the short time im not letting my daughter to be in the company of ex husbands new partner my daughter has been getting upset at school etc am i doing the right thing by not allowing my daughter to be involved ex partner only sees our daughter 2 times a week but when he moves in with new partner how is this going to work needing advice to make sure im doung whats best for my daughter shes 8. Thanks Susan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive given the wrong email address its***@******.***
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you.
Please may I ask:
- are there any current court orders in place?
- any child protection concerns in respect of your ex and / or his new partner?
- does your daughter have a good relationship with her father?
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes a good relationship its only went downward since his descion as far as im aware there is no concerns as i dont no anything about her and no court order in place. My ex partner has only known her for a few months.
Thank you for your response.
When is he moving in?
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
27th this month
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter also stayed over at her dads which will stop when he moves.
Thank you for your response.
How long was the routine in place for your daughter stopping at her dads?
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just before christmas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My main issue is the effect this is having on my daughter as she has stated to her teachers that shes not happy with whats happened as myself knows nothing about new partner and its i feel too soon to involve my daughter in this i myself dont have an issue with their descion but i have issues with how long its been also my ex introduced his partner to my daughter after 4 weeks without discussing it with myself first
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to make sure i am within my rights to do this.
Thank you for clarifying that for me.
It is the position of the courts that children have a right to a relationship with both of their parents unless there are child protection reasons why this should not happen - which you have not stated.
I do agree with you that it seems quite quick to introduce a new family life. If they haven't been together long and they were to separate then this could be confusing for your daughter.
The best advice I can give you is to try and agree a schedule with your ex that builds up over some months.
In this regard, I would recommend that you refer your case to Family Mediation. They will assist you and your ex to try and agree a schedule that works for your daughter.
If your ex didn't agree with your proposals then he could make an application to the court for a child arrangement order to confirm the time he spends. I have to be honest and say that the court would likely order that the father be allowed overnights as the court process does take a few months and if he is still with his partner then the court will consider that parents will move on.
Not what you want to hear but I have to be truthful to you.
The court would consider your daughters wishes and feelings but this would be in light of her age and understanding and at 8 they are likely going to expect you to encourage your daughter to spend time with her father.
Best advice is Google Family Mediation in your area - give them a call to get the ball rolling and try and agree a schedule that increases over time.
Please don't hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you.
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
Just seen your extra message - what did your daughter mean when she said to the teacher 'what had happened'?
Do you think it's because she wants you to get back together or something else ?
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for this information. Regards Susan
Your welcome Susan
Did you get my extra message? Just trying to clarify what was said to the school?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She said she wasnt happy with my ex partner moving in with new partner
Thank you for clarifying that for me.
I suppose that you have to take that at face value.
As previously advised - the court would listen to your daughters wishes but in reality given her age they would probably seek for you to encourage the relationship.
Best to try and agree a pace at mediation that encourages your daughter.
Please do not hesitate to ask if you require any clarification.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Positive feedback is gratefully received
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work. Your question will not close when you leave positive feedback and I am available through his service to answer any follow up questions that you may have for free.