13262538

I pay voluntary maintenance daughter who is 18

Customer Question

I pay voluntary maintenance for my daughter who is 18 and intend doing so until she finishes A levels this year. When she finishes A levels and goes to University is there any legal obligation on me to continue making payments?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Your legal obligation ends when she finishes A-Levels and the child maintenance service's jurisdiction ends, however, the main carer is entitled to submit an application to court should they feel that your daughter requires such maintenance during university.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for more than 30 years.Since your daughter is already 18 her mother can not make any further claims to a Court all.The CMS will expect you to pay until your daughter finishes Secondary education or turns 20.Ir is your daughter who could make a claim to the court for maintenance whilst she is at University - so you may wish to discuss this with her directlyClare