Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My son has a 10 month old daughter. He is allowed visiting

My son has a 10 month old daughter. He is allowed visiting for hours twice each week. His name is ***** ***** birth certificate as the father and he pays an allowance exceeding the CSA approved amount. The mother will not allow him to bring the child to our home. Is there a legal age(I have heard 3 years old). If not what age is sensible. Can my son insist.l
d)At what age
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
There is no "legal age" that a child can go to either parents home and the child has a right to a relationship with both parents, which will include direct contact. Such contact can only be stopped if there are concerns about the level of care provided to the child, and in the absence of such concerns the mother should be allowing your son to see the child.
In the first instance your son should make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: familymediationcouncil.org.uk) to assist them in reaching an agreement. If mediation does not assist, then your son will be able to pursue a court application under form C100 to his local family court, together with a £215 court fee for a child arrangement order to see his son.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.