Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My husband divorced me in 2008 after a 35 year marriage. He

My husband divorced me in 2008 after a 35 year marriage. He has paid spousal maintenance since then. Today I received an email from him saying that he is retiring due to ill health in April this year. As he has remarried, can I claim some maintenance from his now wife? I know this sounds callous but I am at a loss to know what to do now
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Was there a court order in relation to the spousal maintenance?
If there was, that order will continue until any of the trigger events (such as your remarriage) take place and if he wished to vary the spousal maintenance due to his change of circumstances he would need to issue a court application to do so.
However, you will not be able to make a claim for maintenance from his new wife.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.