Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have 2 children and they have their father's surname . I

I have 2 children and they have their father's surname . I would like my surname added onto their name so they have a double barrel surname . He won't agree can I do anything about this . I am not married
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
If his name was on the birth certificate and the children were born after 1 December 2003 then the father would have parental responsibility and you need his consent to change their surname. As he is refusing this you will need to issue an application to court for the court to decide if it is in the children's best interests for their surname to be changed.
Initially you would need to attend a mediation assessment appointment before you can proceed with the court application. You can find local mediators here: www.familymediationcouncil.org.uk
After this you would need to submit an application to your local family court under form C100 together with a £215 court fee.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.