Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Is there a minimum age where the local authority can

Is there a minimum age where the local authority can interview children? Mine is 4.5 and the social worker said they would ask him questions (whilst playing etc). (The Local authority have been asked to undertake a S37 report) Obviously this is very distressing for me as it is not something I wanted to put my child through.What kind of questions do they tend to ask the children?Also who is allowed to be present during this questioning as it will be my missus as he is living with her at the moment? My concern with this is that will he open up fully if she is there?Where can this questioning take place?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
There is no minimum age when the local authority are investigating or assessing further to concerns or as part of a Section 37 report. The social worker will ask him general questions about his relationship with both of you and if there have been any issues or incidents - the questions would be posed in a child-friendly manner.
The social worker would usually interview him alone and it could either be at the home or at an agreed place.