Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My sister was basically scared into signing her son over to

Customer Question

My sister was basically scared into signing her son over to go into foster care she was told by social worker that she had to or she would be taken court I want to know if this is true if not what legal action can be taken
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
It sounds like your sister has signed a Section 20 agreement which is voluntary agreement for placement of the child. In the agreement it would have specified what the local authority will be doing to carry out assessments in order to determine whether her son should be returned to her.
It would also state how much notice she is to give them to rescind the agreement - usually 7 days. However, if she were to withdraw her agreement for the placement the local authority will likely start care proceedings in which a court will need to make a decision as to whether her son should remain in foster care or be returned to her.
Please let me know if you have any further questions about this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And also her and partner the child father are both on bail for assault on a miner and both bailed to same address she doesn't want to be there with im but she was told by police that she has to but u thought she could change her bail address
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And also couldn't her son go to relatives instead of foster care
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
If she has relatives who could potentially care for her son, then she needs to provide this to the social worker and they would need to assess them.
If she wishes to change her bail address, her criminal solicitor will need to request this from the police. She should not live somewhere else as this will be a breach of the bail conditions and she will be liable for arrest.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.