Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

If I come to a financial agreement with my husband

If I come to a financial agreement with my husband for our divorce... Ie- I get to live in the house, this is the maintenance I'd like etc and we both agree, but we want it to be legally binding.. Do we still have to go through courts and provide all my financial declarations to them?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Yes, once a financial agreement has been reached as part of a divorce a consent order and a D81 form (outlining brief income and asset positions) needs to be submitted once the Decree Nisi has been granted for the court's approval - the court will need to assess the agreement to ensure that it is fair for both of you, and any children before it is approved and then becomes legally binding.
Please let me know if you have any further questions about this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Very helpful