ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

If i was to divorce having been married year how

Customer Question

if i was to divorce having been married for one year how would the courts react to me withdrawing 45,000 pounds from my savings account and safe keeping (with my friend) which i had prior to marriage and was solely my own. i have no pre nup thanks
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Either party is able to make a matrimonial finances claim on divorce. When the marriage is such a short marriage then the claim is somewhat limited.
Having said this - you are under a duty to Disclose when a matrimonial finance claim is made. This means all assets and liabilities have to be disclosed. The transaction would therefore come to light. If the court considered that you took such action to try and defeat your spouses claim then this would not be looked on well. The court may consider you untrustworthy. Court may also think you've tried to hide other assets.
So... Best not to try and transfer money elsewhere unless there is a genuine cause to do so. Best to fully disclose and argue it's a pre marital asset to try and limit your spouses claim.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work