Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I was involved with a man with a very coercive and controlling

Customer Question

I was involved with a man with a very coercive and controlling nature during my marriage. My husband accepted the behaviour from the man because it brought him financial reward and employment.
I eventually left my husband and got away from this man as I couldn't cope with it any more. My husband is still very good friends with him and lives next door to him.
When my children visit my husband for access, he spends all his time with this other man, and I really don't want him to have access to my children after everything he put me through.
Can I make a condition that access when my husband has the kids is without this man? How can I do this? Would I need an injunction against the other man? Or a restraining order? Or can conditions be attached to access via my husband?
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Who is this man and what is the relationship between him and your ex-husband? How old are the children?
The time your ex-husband spends with the children should be for him only and should not be with other people unless agreed.
If there are concerns you should inform your ex-husband that it is a condition of his contact that the man does not have contact with the children. If he does not agree, then you can apply for a prohibited steps order under form C100 and a £215 court fee to your local family court. A prohibited steps order stops him from doing something, in your case for him to bring this man during his contact sessions.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your response. The man is my husbands boss and best friend. Also used to be my boss, but the control was horrific. I wasn't allowed to go out with friends and I was sacked for wanting to go on holiday with my friend. The children are aged 2, 9, 14 and 16.
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.
Thanks - and all the children have contact with your ex-husband at the same time?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The small 2 go there 3 nights a week but the teenagers tend to go when they feel like it. The man is also godfather to the two young ones. Is this likely to cause a problem?
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.
Thanks - in relation to the 16 year old, the court cannot make an order for him/her as the court only makes orders for 16-18 year olds in extreme circumstances.
As he is their godfather, and therefore has some sort of relationship with them, if you do not agree with his contact with the children it would be for him to consider applying to court regarding seeing them.
Again, the time they spend with your ex-husband is to be enjoyed by him alone, and if you have concerns about the people he brings into these sessions these should be raised with your ex-husband and if not dealt with you can pursue the above application to court.
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.
Hope it goes well - if you have any further questions in the future you can come back and ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have just submitted another legal question, can you take it or is it too late?
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.
Yes, I have answered it. Thank you.