Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have been divorced from my ex husband years but

Customer Question

Hi, i have been divorced from my ex husband for 3 years but he still has ongoing issues regarding access to our daughter and is taking me to court even though he has been getting all the times with her that he has asked for. We are due back in family court later this month but i cannot afford legal representation. I intend to represent myself but wondering if i can take my mum in for support and to take notes for me? I had a stroke 3 years ago so might find it difficult to take notes and concentrate on what is going on at the same time. Also, i live on disability benefits due to the stroke and wondering if i would be entitled to legal aid? The court date is 18th feb so im guessing it might be too late even if i am eligible? Carly
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
In relation to legal aid, you will only be eligible if you have evidence of domestic violence or child abuse from your ex-husband towards you or your daughter.
You will be able to take your mother with you to support you as a Mckenzie friend - who is basically someone who will assist and support you in court, and would need to inform the judge of this.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.