13262538

I own half the house my dad currently lives in he is 81 he

Customer Question

I own half the house my dad currently lives in he is 81 he is getting married to a 56 year old woman and he wants to give her his half of the house can I stop him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The house is in Birmingham England
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow did you come to own half of the house - and how long have your father and his new partner been together?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When my mom died 8 years ago my dad gave me her half of the house and in his will he left me the rest of the house. I have a sister too and I was going to give her money from the sale of my house when he died he has now been with this women for less than a year and they are not living together until they marry on 4th June
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said he is changing his will and he has asked his solicitor if I can be removed from the deeds
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Was the transfer to you made under a Deed of Variation relating to the death of your mother?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don't know
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Do you remember visiting the solicitor with your father?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't go with him but he bought papers to me to sign
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the land registry would that say
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid that you cannot stop your father from gifting his share of the property to his new wife - either in his Will or immediately.
He cannot change the ownership at the Land Registry without your agreement - but he can create a document which gives her his share and this will ensure that she will eventually receive half of the proceeds of sale.
I am sorry to give you bad news - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks can she then live in the house as long as she likes stopping me live there or stopping me sell the house
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
No you will be able to force the sale of the property after your father dies
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for all your help
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome - I hope all goes well