ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

My mortgage is a joint mortgage. My ex partner has left with

My mortgage is a joint mortgage. My ex partner has left with no forwarding address. He has not contributed to the mortgage for 6 years. If I pay off the mortgage by myself will he still be entitled to half?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I would advise you do the following things:
1) instruct a trace agent to find him. This is realitively cheap to do and they can work off very little information. They often work on a no find no fee basis. This is one such company:
http://traceanyone.co.uk
2) sever your joint tenancy- see this link:
https://www.gov.uk/joint-property-ownership/change-from-joint-tenants-to-tenants-in-common
As joint tenants the legal presumption is that he is entitled to half. Continue with your attempts to get him to agree to give up his share and remove him from the land Registry and mortgage. If he becomes difficult then you can apply to your local county court for a declaration as to you interest in the property.
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for helping you
Please kindly remember to rate positively (by clicking a smiley face) so that we receive credit for our work.