Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My wife and I wish to transfer into our joint names a property

My wife and I wish to transfer into our joint names a property which she owns
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
The process would be a transfer of ownership and you can follow the steps here to do this: https://www.gov.uk/registering-land-or-property-with-land-registry/transfer-ownership-of-your-property
You would need to consider whether you will hold the property as joint tenants or tenants in common. Joint tenants would mean that if either of you pass away, the property is automatically transferred to the surviving person. Whereas with tenants in common, you each hold the property in shares (can be equal or otherwise) and your relevant share would pass under your will, or if you do not have a will under intestacy rules.
To be honest, the usual conveyancing fee of £400 is a small amount to pay to ensure that the documents and procedure is all in order.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.