Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My partner is 4 months pregnant and she has decided to end

Customer Question

My partner is 4 months pregnant and she has decided to end the relationship.
What are my rights for the unborn child and access
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
The child will have a right to a relationship with both you and the mother, so this will include seeing you. The mother should be promoting this unless there are concerns regarding the level of care provided to the child by you.
In relation to other rights, if you are married to her at the time of birth, or if she puts your name as the father on the birth certificate you will have parental responsibility and therefore have the right to be consulted in relation to any major decisions regarding the child's life, such as health, education and religion.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will it be possible to have shared custody of the child?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
It will be considered child arrangements for the child to live with both of you - there is no longer terms such as custody or residence. But yes, such an arrangement can be negotiated between you and the mother, and if she does not agree you can pursue an application to court for such an arrangement.