Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I pay spousal maintenance and have paid since my divorce 20

Customer Question

I pay spousal maintenance and have paid since my divorce 20 years ago. I also paid maintenance for our two children who are now grown up. I have never missed a payment. I remarried 15 year ago and we have two young sons. Neither me or my wife now works and we try to live off our savings and my pension. We have no mortgage on our home. How can I reduce this spousal maintenance.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
What were the terms of the spousal maintenance and what trigger events were included to discharge your liability? Was it definitely long-term / life-long spousal maintenance provision? Please check the order.
In the event that the trigger events have not been met, and your circumstances have changed and you are unable to afford to continue the payments you can apply to court for variation of the spousal maintenance. The court will assess your circumstances (you will need to disclose financial documents).
If you were to pass away then your liability for spousal maintenance will end, nor should you be using your assets or savings to pay spousal maintenance as this needs to only be funded from income. You should not be concerned that your new wife should pay this as it is not her responsibility.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.