13262538

In the early 90's my husbands wife filed in England.

Customer Question

In the early 90's my husbands wife filed for divorce in England. He lived in Australia and there was one child involved. The was no child maintenance requested, however, it was written in the divorce that if he came to England, he would be required to pay approximately 380,000 pound in a lump sum for maintenance of the child until he turned 18.
My husband and son are now in contact and would like to meet, the son 27 and lives in England. My question is this: Is this something that they could have, will, or can enforce if we were to come to England for the visit?
Thank you for your help and I look forward to hearing back from you.
Cindy
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.Have you any paperwork relating to this at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have any of it in front of me at the moment, sorry.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
That is fine - do you know if there is any that exists?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sure that there are, my husband would know. I will ask him for them. We just want to make sure that he can safely come to the country to visit with his son. The son's mother basically ran off with the son, forged my husbands name on travel documents to get them both out of Australia. The mothers parents, brought her back home to England and started the divorce proceedings. The son is now 27 years of age.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
The reason I asked is that in fact it would have been very strange for there to be any Court Order that said this at all.In any event it is now too late for it to be enforced EVEN if (which I doubt) it ever existedHe can come to the Uk without worryPlease ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your time Clare. You have been a great help!Cindy
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome - I hope the meeting goes well