Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

If a mortgage is in joint names but the deeds are solely n

Customer Question

If a mortgage is in joint names but the deeds are solely n one partners name & they are married does this make a difference?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.Please would you confirm if you are in England or Wales?If that is the case - I can confirm that if the property is only in the sole name of one of the spouse, then the spouse on the title has a legal interest in the property. The spouse that is not on the property will not have a legal interest, but will have a beneficial interest. If it is the matrimonial home, then the spouse not on the title will have matrimonial home rights and can register this interest on the title with the land registry using form HR1. This will be flagged up if the sole owner of the property attempts to sell it and will prevent or delay a sale. Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.