Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My daughter has just been informed that her ex is going to

Customer Question

My daughter has just been informed that her ex is going to fight to see his daughter. my granddaughter is just over 4yrs old and has never seen her father and has never had any money for her upbringing. He tried to gain access to her over 2yrs ago but after 3 court hearings he didn't turn up in court and the judge dismissed it. She is a very happy little girl who is settled and content and my daughter does not want any disruption in her life,what are the chances of him getting any access.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your message. If the father proceeded with another court application, he will need to explain why he did not engage previously and why he has not requested to have contact since then. If the mother has concerns about the level of care that he will give to the child then she can raise these and the court will assess whether these need to be investigated. However, the court's starting point is that the child has a right to have a relationship with both parents. Given the long period of time that he has not seen the child, it is likely that the recommendation would be for contact to initially start at a contact centre, and if there are no issues for this to gradually increase to take place in the community. In relation to child maintenance, your daughter should submit an application to the Child Maintenance Service who will assess his gross income and calculate the legal amount he should be paying. You can check more on this here: https://www.gov.uk/child-maintenance/overview Please provide a positive rating if you found this helpful. I will not be credited with answering your question without a positive rating.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.