Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Thinking about separation. Married years. Two children

Thinking about separation. Married for 19 years. Two children (16 & 14). No mortgage. I contributed 78% to buy house, husband 22%. I also have £100,000 savings from a land sale (inheritance). I worked part time for 11 years whilst children were younger. Since 2011 I have worked full time. Husband has always worked full time. Generally have always put equal amounts into joint account to pay for household and children expenses apart from in 2014 when I paid for everything as husband had a debt to pay off. Thinking about separating and husband thinks he will get 50% of everything - house sale and savings? Is this correct? Thank you.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. The marriage will be considered a long marriage, given it has been 19 years and you have two children together. The court will consider contributions, as well as your needs, his needs and the children's needs and the starting point will be a 50-50 split of all matrimonial assets. The court will first need to ensure that the children and their main carer are suitably housed. If you are their main carer, and your husband is not able to afford independent accommodation and you are unable to buy-out his relevant share then the court will consider whether the home should be sold, proceeds divided and for you to both find cheaper suitable accommodation. In relation to the inheritance - this is not an automatic matrimonial asset and if either of you proceeded to court regarding the financial matter the court will only look take the inheritance into account if your needs, his needs and the children's needs cannot be met from the matrimonial assets. Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hope it goes well. If you have further questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris