Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have been living with my partner 15 years &have

Customer Question

I have been living with my partner for over 15 years &have 3 children I have paid all bills including mortgage for all of this period.what if anything am I entitled to
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Please can you confirm if you are married and how old the children are. Whose name is ***** ***** in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we are not married the children are 21,19,14
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Whose name is ***** ***** in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mortgage is in her name
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
What about the property itself as that will be the important issue. If you do not have these details you can request a copy of the title deed here for £3 from the land registry here: https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just tried the land register link with no joy.We have less than 4 years left less than £5000
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
How about this link and follow the Start Now button - https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got land register not much info on it just her name & lender what do you need?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks - that confirms that the title is only registered in her name. Did you sign a deed of trust or has there been any agreement regarding your contributions creating a share of the property for you, or has there been discussion about this between you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I never signed anything .I just trusted her
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. In the circumstances you do not have an automatic right to a share of the property as you are not married, there is no formal agreement and the property appears to be in her sole name. However, you have a good argument that your substantial contributions over the past 15 years should entitle you to a share of the property if that was the intention. If she does not agree to this, you will need to submit an application to court regarding this. Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last point I sold my house in 2005 investing approx £25000 in current property does this make any difference?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Again, without a formal agreement or deed of trust you will need to prove the intention was there that your contributions have created a share/interest in the property. Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.