Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My partner was married abroad in Pakistan and arrived here

Customer Question

My partner was married abroad in Pakistan and arrived here 6/7 years ago. He was divorced 2 years ago in the UK (Islamic way) although officially not married in the UK. No joint assets other than 3 children. Maintenance and contact arranged via court. We are now looking to getting married and buying a property together. Does ex wife have any claim over my partner other than maintenance? Maintenance is not disputed and adhered to. Many thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. An Islamic divorce in England will not be sufficient to end their marriage and your partner will need to pursue a civil divorce in England. You will not be able to marry until a civil divorce has taken place. Unless his ex-wife remarries or there is a formal court order regarding the financial matter, a financial relief claim against him will remain open indefinitely. What maintenance is currently in place, and is it for the children or for his ex-wife?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.