13262538

I am divorced and my son aged 19 whom I had a close relationship

I am divorced and my son aged 19 whom I had a close relationship has been killed. My ex wife says that she is his legal guardian and that I have no rights re his funeral and that I have to ask her permission to see his body and that I have no right to any of his ashes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have asked for a small percentage of his ashes so that I can buy a small plot, she refused saying that she is scattering them.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am sorry for your loss. Were you married at the time of your son's birth?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I am sorry for your loss - I can tell you that time does not heal but it makes it less raw.In fact your ex is not correct.Your son was over 18 and both his parents have equal rights to organise the funeral and deal with the ashes - assuming that there is no Will.However the Undertakers will release the ashes to whoever pays the Bill.What I cannot tell you is how to resolve this issue - the only option would be a court application which would not help matters.
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years