13262538

I have been married to my wife years. I pay all bills

Customer Question

Hi. I have been married to my wife for 6 years. I pay all bills and she uses her salary just for clothes. Now she wants a divorce. The house is in negative equity. I take Home monthly 3900 and she takes home 1200. My outgoings are 2300. How much spousal maintenance might I have to pay to yet people month as a reasonable and fair sum.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow long gave you actually lived together and how old are you both?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 45 and she is 40 we have lived together for 8 months then married for 6 years and have no children.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Where was she living prior to moving in with you?What other capital assets do you each have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No assets. She used to live with a friend in London. I was just looking at a rough amount that would be fair. I have pensions but that's a separate subject and she will take some of that but maintenance is what I wanted a rough amount for.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Spouse maintenance is based on Reasonable needs as against income.In your case the relatively short length of the relationship makes it unlikely that Spouse maintenance would be payable for anything other than a limited period of time - maybe two years at most.As I said it is your wife's "reasonable needs" that will be considered - but a figure between £200 and £500 is possiblePlease ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome - I hope all goes well