Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

My former partner and I took out a joint mortgage in 2003.

Customer Question

My former partner and I took out a joint mortgage in 2003. We split up after 11 months. He was in full-time employment at that time and I was studying and had a part-time job. The (unwritten) agreement was that he would pay the mortgage until I left college and found a full-time job. We split up after 11 months and there was a debt of over £3,000 on the mortgage which I became responsible for. I have lived in the house ever since. Soon after the separation the pressurised me to sell and divide the profits with him. I refused and continued to live in the house. For the past 12 years I have lived in the house, paid the mortgage, maintained and improved the property significantly, thereby enhancing its value. The deposit on the house and the improvements made to make it habitable to move into were all paid by me from the profits of a house I had recently sold and which belonged solely to me. The only contributions he made to the house were 6 mortgage payments. I now want to sell the house and will need him to consent to the sale. I need to know what claims he may have.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information first.How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage.How much was the deposit?What improvements have you made?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just over £57,000 remains on the mortgage. I have been on interest only since shortly after the separation. It is a former council house so there is a ceiling on its value. Judging by other similar properties in my street which have been sold recently, I can expect little more than 80 to 82 thousand. The deposit was seven thousand. I installed a new kitchen, bathroom and central heating system and recently replaced the boiler. Cavity wall insulation. Loft insulation. Patio door has replaced a window. New front door. New back door. 3 new windows to kitchen. Wood flooring to living room. Rest of downstairs floors tiled. New toilet to downstairs loo. Garden landscaped and patio laid.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How much has the work you have done enhanced the value of the property (as opposed to the passage of time)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Just to check - you are aware that the phone call will cost more?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I do need to know how much has the work you have done enhanced the value of the property (as opposed to the passage of time)