Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Me and my partner broke up in July last year.she was living

Me and my partner broke up in July last year.she was living with me for 7 years.when she left me she already had a verbal agreement that she would buy my car off me I could have sold the car for £3,000 but I agreed to take thousand off to sell to her she stopped payments for the car in September now she is demanding items from the house and only now is asking for the dog she did try and steal him which I did report to the police.Policeman has spoken to her and she is going through procedure with a solicitor to get items from the house and the dog but no mention about the car.she has changed the car into her name and her mothers address.What can I do about this and what are her chances?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Are you/were you married to each other?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we were not married.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming. As you were not married, the belongings in the home and the dog will be the property of whoever bought them and she cannot make a claim against those. Regarding her stopping the payments towards the car, you should send her a formal letter demanding the outstanding payment be made, and provide her with a deadline (eg. 2 weeks), after which you should threaten to proceed with a money claim to small claim court and you can add the costs of the court application to the outstanding amount. You can make a small claim money application here: https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-onlinePlease provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you