How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2725
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have a 20 month old son up untill recently i had 3times a

Resolved Question:

i have a 20 month old son up untill recently i had 3times a week 1(being on a weekend ) i stupidly took a overdose but now she wont let me see him or tell me how hes doing or anything she said nothing i could do as she registered his birth behind my back so that i wasnt on it
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Were you married to her at the time of your son's birth? Even if you were not, not being on his birth certificate does not impact your child's right to have a relationship with you. Understandably the mother may be concerned that your overdose could be a sign of potential issues and that you may not be in the right state of mind to care for your son - however, you will need to demonstrate that you have sought help and support regarding the incident and that you do not pose a risk to your son. Initially you should propose that contact resume for some time initially, possibly assisted by a mutual friend or family member, and for it to gradually increase back to previous levels. If she does not agree, I would suggest you make a referral to an independent mediator to assist you to reach an agreement (you can find local mediators here: If mediation does not work or she does not engage, you should pursue an application to court for a child arrangement order under form C100 together with a £215 court fee.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions