Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Good Day, I am in a tricky situation. I am a 56 year old man

Customer Question

Good Day, I am in a tricky situation. I am a 56 year old man and had an affair with a woman which resulted in a baby boy. I would like to give this baby all support as far as I can but it will result in a divorce from my wife. We have two grown up children from our marriage 22 & 20 year old.
Since I now got this baby boy and will support him I will just like to know how this will affect a divorce settlement from my wife.
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Just a bit more information required: -are you in England or Wales?-how long have you been married-what is your gross income-what is your wife's income?-what assets do you and your wife have?-what will the arrangements be for your new child (ie. Will you be living with the mother/will he stay with you overnight, if so on average how many nights a week etc)-
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I live in England , however I am Norwegian Citizen working on ships 6 month a year.
We have been married 25 years.
My gross income is 80 K
My wifes incomeis around 8 K ( work only part time.)
We got a paid of house. I got two apartments in Bulgaria in my name. I got some private pension ..
Most likely I will be living with the child and mother. They live in the Philippines.
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. As part of a divorce pursued in England, your wife is entitled to seek financial relief from you. You would also be entitled to seek financial relief from her, depending on what her asset position is. The reasons for divorce will not impact the financial settlement, unless there has been financial misconduct. As part of the financial negotiations, both of you will need to provide full and frank financial disclosure to each other and the court will decide whether to approve an agreed settlement, or make an order based on the following criteria:The income, earning capacity, property and other financial resources which each of the parties to the marriage has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future, including in the case of earning capacity any increase in that capacity which it would, in the opinion of the Court, be reasonable to expect a party to the marriage to take steps to acquire;The financial needs, obligations and responsibilities which each of the parties to the marriage has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future;The standard of living enjoyed by the family before the breakdown of the marriage;The age of each party to the marriage and the duration of the marriage;Any physical or mental disability of either of the parties to the marriage;The contributions which each of the parties has made or is likely in the foreseeable future to make to the welfare of the family, including any contribution by looking after the home or caring for the family;The conduct of each of the parties, if that conduct is such that it would, in the opinion of the Court, be inequitable to disregard it;In the case of proceedings for divorce or nullity of marriage, the value to each of the parties to the marriage of any benefit which, by reason of the dissolution or annulment of the marriage, that party will lose the chance of acquiring (e.g. a right to your husband’s pensions).Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.