Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
31090051

I paid Legal Will Writers of Moray to draw up a Family Asset

Customer Question

I paid Legal Will Writers of Moray to draw up a Family Asset Protection Trust. I then discovered that I had to get Solicitor in Scotland to deal with the conveyancing. I chose my son's solicitor who had dealt with the purchase of my house and the conveyancing of this house. He did not acknowledge my original request for him to do the conveyancing of my Family Asset Protection Trust, nor has he responded to my request for an update. What do I do now?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
If the solicitor is not responding to you at all then you would have to choose another solicitor. It's unusual for a solicitor not to acknowledge instructions especially where you are an existing client. I would try to call the solicitor to find out what is going on and if you have no luck speaking to them you should terminate their instructions in writing and go elsewhere. Happy to discuss further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just confirmed what I was planning to do but the "in writing" bit was good advice. Still working on it. Lack of communication is major problem, but biggest problem is with Legal Will Writers who never said they COULD NOT actually finalise or legalise the document themselves, so it is actually a worthless £1500 piece of paper, as I doubt if any legal body in Scotland will do the conveyancing of a Trust document, drawn up by Moray Legal Will Writers and not drawn up by themselves.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
How much? That is staggering. It's unlikely that a solicitor would have charged you that for an asset protection trust and a solicitor would have been capable of doing the conveyancing as well. The trust probably isn't worthless but it needs the property to be conveyed which is where will writers are useless. I would have the whole lot reviewed by a solicitor and put the extortionate cost down to experience. It used to be the case that solicitors were the first port of call for these things bit I'm afraid you've been the victim of commercial marketing. A will drafted BT them probably costs a fortune too whereas a solicitor would charge no more than £150 to £200 for a basic will at most.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have written again to the solicitor asking if he has done or will do the conveyancing. Legal Will Writers have responded to my request that they find me a solicitor in Scotland to do the conveyancing. They will try to find one. I shall wait till the end of next week to see if my solicitor is going to respond to my letter. Incidentally, Legal Will Writers charged £170 for my will and combined Continuing and Welfare Power of Attorney together with making the registration application on my behalf to the Office of the Public Guardian. This price included a package discount and a special offer 20% discount.Thank you for your advice and comments. It has helped me to decide how to proceed.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I hope you get the conveyancing sorted.