Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My recently separated wife has agreed a settlement figure for

My recently separated wife has agreed a settlement figure for a clean break settlement. To raise the money, I have considered a bank loan as well as monies from other sources. If the loan is put in my bank account now, even though we have not reached the mediation stage, would I have to declare that loan as part of my assets to the mediators/solicitors/court?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Yes, you will need to be frank about the loan, but this is unlikely to impact the settlement as you are liable to pay this back (for example if she attempts to obtain a share of it, then you can equally counter stating that she should also be repaying the loan). Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your prompt answer. Most useful.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
No worries - please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you