Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My wife and I have been on and off years. This

My wife and I have been on and off for many years. This includes living together and living separately. We have 2 children together and one on the way. I moved out, she filed for divorce as well as some sort of FDA court appointment. We have agreed to go to a good couples therapist, to actually see if there is anything to salvage before we break for good. I would like to completely end the legal proceedings, and she would like to adjourn legal proceedings. Now that the court date is set and is quickly approaching (i believe it is in a weeks time), how can we adjourn this FDA meeting so we can attend counselling. Do we right a letter to the court, do we call them? What information is needed if we call or write them. Can a Judge reject or request to adjourn?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. You will need to prepare a consent order signed by both of you statimg that upon both of you agreeing to attend counselling, that the next hearing (with date) is adjourned until after a speciifc time period. There will be a £50 court fee to pay. A judge can refuse to agree to it and the hearing may go ahead - in that event you should attend and explain the developments to the judge. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating as I will not be credited with answering your question without one. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What other information is needed. Do I need to put down when I will complete form E and other documents. My wife would like to include in the letter when I will complete all relevant documentation before the court hearing? Can the letter just read, we are attending counselling please adjourn until (date)?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Yes, and for dates for directions for exchange of evidence to be adjourned until after a decision has been made once counselling is attended
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a little unclear. To clarify, in the letter, we should ask for an adjournment to a certain date, and we should also ask for dates for directions for exchange of evidence to be adjourned until after a decision has been made? Which decision are you referring to? The decision to adjuorn the FDA, or our decision to stay together?I am assuming the court will come up with dates of exchange, and we should not specify when this should happen?thx
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
A decision to stay together. If you have a date in mind you should specify this (eg. if you already have a counselling session booked, I would suggest a couple of weeks after that so that you both have time to think things through). The exchange and filing of the evidence should take place at least two weeks before the hearing so that the matter is ready to progress at the hearing.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating as I will not be credited with answering your question without one. Thank you
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters