How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34580
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mother has dementia and owns her own home, how can we protect

Resolved Question:

my mother has dementia and owns her own home, how can we protect our inheritance or is it to late because she may have to go in to a care home.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow much is the property worth and how long has she owned it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 220.000 about 25 years
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Has she always been the only owner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mum and dad owns the house but dad died seven years ago
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What income does your mother have - and are there any other assets that could be used to pay for her care?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has about 16.500 in savings that's all, she has a personal pension of about 650 per month plus state pension
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any more questions?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delay.Would you wish/be able to let the property to produce an income?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but it would not produce enough income, a care home is probably 750 a week but we would only get 750 per month
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
There will be various allowances as well - more details here it is too late to take any action to prevent the value of the property being taken into account - your only possible option is to delay the saleI am sorry to give bad newsClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome I hope all goes well
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you