How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11125
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My Stepfather & Stepmother died recently there is no power

Customer Question

Hi My Stepfather & Stepmother died recently there is no power of attorney in place. As the Stepson I am trying to find out my legal entitlements Could you hell as a neighbour seems to have taken control of their affairs On what I would term as hearsay
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Stepchildren generally have no inheritance rights unless there is a will leaving estate to the stepchild. Unlike natural children, stepchildren have no automatic rights of inheritance. At the same time, obviously neighbours have no automatic rights of inheritance either unless there is a will. You have to find out on what authority the neighbours are doing what they are doing and if there is alleged to be a will you want to find out who has been appointed executor and, if possible, what the will says. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply The neighbours say they are carrying out what my Stepmother wanted nothing in writing to say they should arrange anything They are in possession of my Stepfathers brief case which contains their wills and a lot of private documents. My Step parents had an accountant and I am not being told the name The neighbours are in possession of house keys and have been removing items from the house. When I questioned who gave them authority they say it is what my Stepmother wanted this is a woman who was admitted into hospital 27th December in a very confused state. My stepfather of 66years was admitted into a nursing home by them without telling me after two weeks he went into hospital where he died The nursing home had a bill for £900.00 £450 has been paid by the neighbours out of My stepfathers more than adequate funds They accused the nursing home staff of stealing from my Stepfather sum of £50.00 and were told to leave or the police would be called My stepfather had a total £200.00 none of which has been handed in by the neighbour I have a bill From the care home For £450.00 to cover the second week my stepfather was resident. The neighbour says he paid them £900:00 I have a receipt from the care home for the sum of £450.00 which was the first payment no other money has changed hands as he was told not to contact the care home because of his behaviour.Sorry to carry on with all of this, I just do not know the correct way to o about this.
My stepfather has one surviving sister and My stepmother has a nephew in Canada neither have been contacted !Regards ***** *****
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
A verbal request is not a will. The neighbours have to be stopped from taking things from the house. I think you should tell the police what's going on. They may not want to get involved in what they may see as a civil matter but you should report that people with no right to do so are removing things from the house, especially private papers that are preventing you from trying to assess who in the family should be taking care of your late step parents' affairs. If the only family they have are the sister and a nephew, if you can, get in touch with them and get some kind of written authority to carry out initial investigations etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much this may help
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.

Related Family Law Questions