Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I've received a letter informing me that the legal aid society has applied to put a c

I've received a letter informing me that the legal aid society has applied to put a charge on my home in my ex husbands name I think this must be for his criminal trial this year following his conviction for sexually abusing his step daughters . I am due to have by divorce trial in May however at the Fdr hearing in December he was told by the Judge I would not be forced to sell the house and would only be getting a min amount if anything due to the gross misconduct through the marriage and the fact he's been convicted . Will the charge affect me trying to re mortgage if I have to give he any money or if in awarded the house and it's transfer to my name will it affect any future sale
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Unfortunately the Legal Aid Agency charge on the property will impact your future ability to sell or remortgage the property as the charge is basically money that the Legal Aid Agency is entitled to upon sale of the property, whenever that takes place. The charge and amount he owes the Legal Aid Agency will accrue interest the longer it is on the property. I would highly suggest you write to him or his solicitors as this needs to be considered as part of the financial settlement and he should be meeting that charge elsewhere if you are awarded the property.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you