13262538

UK Bereavement benefit and pension Thai wife legally

UK Bereavement benefit and pension for abandon Thai wife legally married to UK citizen 2002. Is she eligible?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstCould you explain a little more about what you wish to know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Clare
I'm trying to help out a friend of a family who found this Thai lady homeless in the street. This Thai woman now age 52 used to live in the UK ( late 1990 to 2002 ) and legally married to UK citizen. She claim that she live and work with him until she was abandon late 2002 and is send back home to Thailand. She only remember her husband name and the street where she used to live and worked in the UK. I did some research and found that he ( her husband ) has since pass away in 2012. What I'm trying to find out is is she eligible for any type of bereavement funds or pension benefit ? Or does the UK government just distribute bereavement funds to next of kin or his child from previous marriage?.
Sorry for asking too many question and poor usage of American grammar.Thank you.
Joe
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Do you know if there was ever a divorce?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for slow respond. According to her no divorce...she was given an equivent of 2000 pound and instructed to return back home.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked to see if he left a Will?https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't and will have the case handle by her attorney if she wish to pursue, but thanks for the web link anyway. I'll look into it. So does Britain law allow wife/spouse to file for benefits even though time have lapse ?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
In fact there are few bereavement benefits given out in the UKThere are no benefits that your friend would necessarily have received even if she had been living with her husband at the time of his death - there MAY be the possibility of a state pension claim if she lived in the UK based on her husbands contributionsWhat she was entitled to do was to apply for a share of his estatePlease ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So no bereavement benefit but is it worth the time and legal expenses ( in your opinion as a legal expert ) to pursue any government state pension fund that she is entitle to.?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
She is only entitled to the pension if she is resident in the UK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clare,
I guess that answer most of my questions.. Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome