ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

A friend is looking to divorce her Japanese Foreign National

A friend is looking to divorce her Japanese Foreign National husband (he has the right to remain in the UK for an indefinite period) on the grounds of unreasonable behavior. There are 2 kids involved and she wants sole custody. Child protection services have been called in but still at the first stages of proceedings. They rent their property and she does not want to claim on any of his assets. Will a "quickie" divorce be possible if he is agreeable?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will assist you. Please may I ask - have they both been resident in the UK for over a year? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi CarolineYes.
Hello Thank you for confirming that for me. The short answer that you seek is Yes. The court would accept an application made by either of them for divorce. Things are much easier if the parties are agreed - then it is unlikley that either of them will raise the issue of Jurisdiction. Please do not hesitate to ask if i can clarify anything for you. Kind Regards Caroline Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for helping you today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HelloCan you clarify the jurisdiction thing - is this around the issue of his nationality?
Hello Jurisdiction is quite complex. How long has he lived in the UK? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Approx. 8-10 years
Hello Jurisdiction isn't going to be an issue if he has lived here for that amount of time. If he was living abroad for say all or most of the time then he could argue that the UK didn't have jurisdiction - but with living here so long - this isn't going to be an issue. Kind Regards Caroline positive feedback is gratefully received
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Caroline