JustAnswerKM
JustAnswerKM, Solicitor
Experience:  Court of Protection, civil litigation, divorce and inheritance
90849391

As a sister to a brother who need care mental state

Customer Question

as a sister to a brother who need care for his mental state can I override his step daughters who are telling social sevices that they are his real daughters, they have power of attorney which I was not told.
Expert:  JustAnswerKM replied 1 year ago.
Good eveningThank you for your message. I will do all I can to help.Firstly, no one should stop you from wanting to care for your brother. If the social workers or medical practitioners believe that you pose any danger on your brother then they will carry out the necessary legal measures to stop you. For the time being whilst nothing is in place to stop you from caring for your brother, you can continue as you have been.In regards ***** ***** power of attorney, if it is official, valid and with no restrictions and it covers personal welfare decisions for your brother, then the person on the power of attorney (step daughters) can act on his behalf within the powers given. I strongly suggest that you find whether this power of attorney exists by searching on the official register with the Office of the Public guardian. Complete the attached OPG100 form and email it to the address at the bottom of the form. That way you know better where you stand in this situation. Best of luck, Kind regardsKrystel*Please rate my answer so I can be credited for it.